Vienna Vacation » VIENNA MONUMENTS

VIENNA MONUMENTS

Schönbrunn Palace together with its ancillary buildings and extensive park is by virtue of its long and colourful history one of the most important cultural monuments in Austria. Scheduled as a listed monument, the whole ensemble, including the palace, the park with its numerous architectural features, fountains and statues and not least the zoo – the oldest of its kind in the world – was placed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List in 1996. In the possession of the Habsburg dynasty since Maximilian II, the palace passed to the ownership of the Republic of Austria at the end of the monarchy in 1918 and was subsequently administered by the Schlosshauptmannschaft Schönbrunn. In 1992 the Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur- und Betriebsges.m.b.H. (SKB) was founded and entrusted with the administration of the palace as a modern, limited-liability company. The duties of the SKB include the exploitation of its many resources in fulfilling its role as a cultural and touristic amenity as well as the obligation to conserve and revitalise this unique historical and art-historical gem. As its primary duties, preservation and restoration have to be financed by the SKB from its own resources without recourse to state subsidies.

 

Hofburg Imperial Palace is a palace in Vienna, Austria, which has housed some of the most powerful people in Austrian history, including Habsburg dynasty, rulers of the Austro-Hungarian empire . It currently serves as the official residence of the President of Austria. It was the Habsburg's principal winter residence, while Schonbrunn Palace was their preferred summer residence. The Palace was the birthplace of Marie Antoinette in 1755.The Hofburg area has been the documented seat of government since 1279 for various empires and republics.The Hofburg faces the Heldenplatz ordered under the reign of Emperor   Francis Joseph, as part of what was to become a Kaiserforum that was never completed.Numerous architects have executed work at the Hofburg as it expanded, notably the Italian architect-engineer Filiberto Luchese (the Leopoldischiner Trakt),Lodovico Burnacini and Martino and Domenico Carlone, the´Baroque architects Lukas vin Hildenbrand and Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach (the Reichschancelry Wing and the Winter Riding School), Johann Fischer von Erlach (the library), and the architects of the grandiose Neue Burg built between 1881 and 1913.

 

St. Stephen's Cathedral (German: Stephansdom) is themotehr church of the Archdiocese Vienna and the seat of the Archbischop of Vienna Cristoph Cardinal Schonbron OP. Its current Romansque and Gothic form seen today, situated at the heart of Vienna, Autria in the Stephansplatz, was largely initiated by Rudolf IV and stands on the ruins of two earlier churches, the first being a parish church consecrated in 1147. As the most important religious building in Austria's capital, the cathedral has born witness to many important events in that nation's history and has become one of the city's most recognizable symbols.

 

Looking at the building from the Opernring, in other words from the front, the historical part from the original 1869 building is visible. The façade remains in Renaissance arched style and the loggia on the Ringstrasse side underline the public character of the building.The two representations of riders over the main façade of the loggia were erected in 1876. They were created by Ernst Julius Hähnel and represent two flying horses, illustrating Harmony and the muse of poetry (Erato).Also by Hähnel are the five bronze statues (from left to right: Heroism, the Songstress, Fantasy, Thalia and Love) which stand on pedestals inside the arched loggia arcade.

 

Rathaus is a German word, literally translating as "council house", often rendered as "city hall" or "town hall". However, many specific buildings are referred to as Rathaus, even when spokeabout in English. From the word, Rat (council), a German advisory or ruling council (deri The Rathaus is a building in Vienna which serves as the seat both of the mayor and city council of the city of Vienna which also serve, in personal union, as Governor and Assembly (Landtag) of the State of Vienna, a state with the Austrian federal system. The Rathaus was designed by Friedrich von Schmidt in the Gothic style, and built between 1872 and 1883. On the top of the tower is the Rathausmann, one of the symbols of Vienna. Facing the Rathaus is a large park, the Rathauspark.ved from raten, "to advise")¨

 


The Burgtheater (the former imperial court theatre), one of the most important theatres in Europe, ist the second-oldest theatre still in existence after the Comédie Francaise. Its all-German program includes all the variety of spoken theatre: classics and contemporary pieces, as well as experimental theatre and readings. The director is Klaus Bachler.
The Burgtheater is large. It has got 1175 seats, 81 standing places, and room for 12 wheelchairs and escorts. Inspite of that it´s often worth buying tickets in advance.In addition to the main theatre there are three other locations where Burgtheater productions are performed: the “Vestibül”, a studio seating 70, is located in the main building (adress: Dr. Karl-Lueger-Ring 2, 1010 Wien; lines 2, 1, D, J). The other locations are the “Kasino” (adress: Schwarzenbergplatz 1, 1010 Wien; lines 1, 2, D) with 200 seats, and the “Akademietheater” (adress: Franz-Lisztstr. 1, 1030 Wien; line 1,2, D), seating 500, plus 32 standing places and room for 4 wheelchairs and escorts.



The Belvedere
is a baroque
palace complex built by Prince Eugene of Savoy in the 3rd district of Vienna, south-east of the city centre.After buying the plot of land in 1697, Prince Eugene had a large park created. The Schloss Belvedere began as a suburban entertainment villa: in 1714 work began to erect what is now called the Lower Belvedere, not as a palace but as a garden villa, with an orangerie and paintings gallery, with suitable living quarters. The architect was Lukas von Hildenbrandt, one of the most important architects of the Austruian Baroque, who produced in the complex of buildings his masterwork. He was assisted by the Venetian sculptor,Giovanni Stanetti who had been brought to Vienna by Prince Eugene, with his atelier of assistants; now he also provided properly Italianate sculptural details, such as the figures along the balustrade and garden sculptures. The Lower Belvedere was finished in 1716. The ceiling of its central Marmorsaal ("Marble Hall"), painted by Martino Altomonte, celebrates Prince Eugene as a new Apollo, leader of the Muses. The room also contains an Apotheosis of Prince Eugene sculpted by Balthasar Permose.

 

The Karlskirche (German for St. Charles's Church) is a church situated on the south side of Karlsplatz, Vienna. It is located on the edge of the 1st district 200 metres outside the Ringstrasse. It is one of the most outstanding baroque church structures north of the Alps and boasts a dome in the form of an elongated ellipsoid.Ever since Karlsplatz was restored as an ensemble in the late 1980s, the Karlskirche has garnered fame due to its dome and its two flanking columns of bas-reliefs, as well as by its role as an architectural counterweight to the buildings of the Musikverein and of the Vienna University of Technology.The church is cared for by a religious order and has long been the parish church as well as the seat of the Catholic student ministry of the Vienna University of Technology.

Vienna monuments and places of interest

 

The best and most popular restaurants and pubs in Vienna.

 
 
ASTRA ACCOMMODATION, Krasova 22, Praha 3
Fax: +420 226531689 | GSM: +420 608904999
info@astravacation.com | www.astra-vacation.com | www.krasovka.cz | www.uklidastra.cz